Wednesday, March 23, 2016

ABOUT THIS BLOG...


Please note: This blog project has concluded and I am no longer posting here. To view my current blog, please visit here.

_______________________

"Joy comes to us in ordinary moments. We risk missing out when we get too busy chasing down the extraordinary." ~Brene Brown


Last spring, I was struggling to find something positive to focus on. The constant stream of negative news in my social media feeds and on television was breaking my heart and soul. In the midst of it all, I was also grieving the recent loss of my mother after several difficult years of caregiving.

So I started carrying my camera everywhere, challenging myself to focus on "something beautiful" every day for one year.

I scouted for beauty in my neighbors' gardens, the local farmers' markets, my kitchen drawers, my bookshelves, my husband's art studio, and everywhere I traveled. I started pairing my photographs with favorite quotations, and then created "Something Beautiful Every Day" as a place to share the project with a few close friends and family members.

In retrospect, my growing passion for photography was actually a tribute to my mother, whose work as a photographic color artist had sparked my interest in the medium years ago. My mother was a visual arts person, always expressing her creativity by making her surroundings beautiful. 

In the summer of 2016, I was encouraged by a magazine editor to add a free subscription option, making "Something Beautiful Every Day" available to everyone. 
Since then, the blog has been featured in The Detroit NewsMichigan Prime, Your Home & Lifestyle Magazine, and HAP's Balanced Living magazine. It was also endorsed by Beaumont Hospital's Sharing & Caring breast cancer support group as a "positive and inspirational resource to lift your spirits and provide daily motivation."

The project concluded on March 23, 2017 -- exactly one year from the day it was started. To commemorate the project, Detroit journalist and videographer John S. Schultz produced a short music video featuring favorite photos from the blog. You can view the video on 
YouTube here.


_______________________


All photos on "Something Beautiful Every Day" are original, 
copyrighted, and can't be reproduced without permission

9 comments:

  1. Tell me how to get your daily feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Subscribe" option is now enabled -- so yes, you can subscribe for daily updates. Go to the top right of the page, where you'll see a narrow vertical bar with several options. The "Subscribe" button is at the top. Click on that and you can subscribe through your email or RSS feed. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come here most every day, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy! Did you know that you can subscribe to get each post in your email? I've explained how in the comments above, here. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. I love your photos and quotes. They go right to the heart of things. Beaumont Hospital! My mother was a volunteer there for years -- back in the '50s and '60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Barbara! I continue to enjoy your wonderful blog, and look forward to reading your book.

      Delete
  5. Wow- I am friends with a celebrity that is also such a beautiful person! What a stunning place you've created Cindy..... I am humbled to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starrlife, thanks for your sweet compliments, but I am truly not a celebrity. I am honored to know YOU, my friend.

      Delete